Doc Crow’s is officially the first place that is being checked off of my Louisville Bucket List and honestly it would have happened sooner but boy this place is HARD to get reservations for on the days that we are free. So way back in the beginning of December I set up reservations for Chandler’s birthday weekend, his birthday is on January 31st but they only had February 1st available so we went with it! Its was close enough to work.
Well a few weeks before the date of our reservation we received a call from Doc Crow’s asking if there was any way that they could switch our reservation to January 31st because they were hoping to close down for a staff event, and for our troubles they would give us a $25 gift card, of course I said YES! Not only did we end up getting the date that we wanted but we also got a gift card! Win-win here!
I had been stalking their social media and Yelp page for ages I knew that we had to start with their Heap’n Chips which is basically a massive pile of barbecue chips will all the toppings presented like nachos. It didn’t disappoint either, the chips were crisp and each of the toppings really set of the flavor of the next topping. Honestly I probably could have eaten the whole appetizer myself and been fine without anything else, but since I had to share with the whole family I decided to order something off the menu.
All of us besides Jayde (who just ordered a burger) ordered the Smokehouse Sampler which is pulled pork, beef brisket, and chicken or ribs. I went with the ribs because I typically don’t like chicken, but I took a bite of Chandler’s chicken and it was by far the best barbecue chicken that I have ever tried. In the end though I was glad I went with the baby back ribs because I ate all of the pulled pork and beef brisket and I was able to eat the baby back ribs the next day for lunch and they were more than enough for lunch and still fall off of the bone delicious. The portions were so filling that we ended up going home with four to go boxes!
I am a little sad that I didn’t think to get a photo of my actual meal because it was really quite the spread. I guess I will have to make a another visit to Doc Crow’s so that I can get a great photo.
A few fun tips about Doc Crow’s:
– Visit on your birthday and make sure to tell them its your special day because they will let you chose any dessert item off of the list for FREE complete with a lit birthday candle on top! Their pecan pie is amazing!
– Your meal does NOT include side items, but be sure to order some because their cheese grits are really good.
– Their sweet tea is GOOD. Growing up in Florida I always expected sweet tea to be, well sweet and thats just not the case here in Kentucky. Good sweet tea is hard to find.
– While the environment is kid friendly it is pretty loud so plan for this is when considering bringing your kids here. It didn’t bother my kids, then again they do have a blog name Three LOUD Kids specifically because of their loud volume.
– The parking is street parking, so plan for this. Also the location is just across the street from the Yum Center so make sure to plan incase there are any big events going on (we forgot to and got stuck in 30 minute traffic while trying to find a parking spot).
– Make a reservation. I used Open Table and planned a month plus ahead of time, you should do the same or expect long waits. While the food is certainly worth the wait a reservation just makes life easier.
– Come with an empty belly so you can have on of their appetizers and desserts in addition to your meal!