December, dog

That Time We Almost Lost December

We had quite the scare a few days ago.

I left the boys watching December upstairs in their room (because I always feel bad putting her in her crate) while I went to pick John from work. I figured that she would be fine like she always is because I wasn’t going to even be gone for five minutes….

Of course it didn’t occur to me that I had a big box full of chocolate that somehow ended up getting sat on the floor, just low enough that she could dive right in and eat as much chocolate as she wanted if someone wasn’t watching. Unfortunately the boys got wrapped up in playing video games and did not notice whenever December snuck downstairs and dug right into the box full of chocolate.

What to do if your dog eats chocolateIm sure that you know that chocolate can be very deadly for dogs, so you can imagine how freaked out I was whenever I arrived home and saw that December had eaten a massive HERSHEY’s chocolate bunny and some HERSHEY’s kisses. Well over 6 ounces of milk chocolate!

I immediately went to Bing to see what I needed to do now, because December only weighs 9 pounds on a good day so that amount of chocolate cannot be a good thing. Here’s what I learned:

– Chocolate is toxic at roughly one ounce eaten per pound of the dogs body weight.

–  Unsweetened cocoa is most toxic to dogs, followed by baking chocolate, semisweet chocolate and then milk chocolate. Also apparently it is safe for dogs to eat white chocolate because they a super small amount of theobromine (the stuff that makes chocolate bad for dogs).

The symptoms your dog will experience is he/she eats chocolate:
– upset stomach (vomiting / diarrhea)
– tremors
– increased thirsts
– weakness
– balance problems
– hyper excitability

Dogs that eat a LOT of chocolate will experience much more severe symptoms:

– heart arrhythmia
– coma
– seizures
– coma
muscle spasms

What to do if your dog eats chocolate:

Induce vomiting asap! I was able to induce vomiting in December by using hydrogen peroxide. The dosage to use is 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds. It is also safe to mix honey with the hydrogen peroxide to get your dog to drink it, however if that does not work you will need to get a syringe to force him / her to swallow it. Luckily, December did not mind drinking it up with some honey.

After the dose was given you need to walk the dog to keep him / her moving to get that hydrogen peroxide working.

If your dog doesn’t vomit within the first 15 minutes you can give a second dose, if this second does does not work do NOT give another dose you need to call your veterinarian.

Luckily for us it DID work and December vomited more that I would have ever expected, so keep paper towels nearby.

After a really long night of her squirming around in our bed and me waking up to check her every so often, by the next morning our sweet December was doing fine.  Though she was more sleepy than normal, but by the following day she was totally back to normal looking for things to get into.

Moral of the story: DON’T LEAVE CHOCOLATE AROUND WHERE DOGS CAN GET TO IT.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge